Monday 31 May 2010

It's been a long time...

Due to the general annoyance of GCSEs, I really haven't had time to watch any films, read any books or update my blog. Sadly, I've been to the theatre three times within this time frame. I saw Macbeth at the Globe on 1st May, 16 days before my life was taken over by exams. I wrote a long and humourous commetary of the full experience, which sadly this blog will never see because it's too personal to post online. What I will say, though, is that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and am now itching to becoem a Shakespearian.

Next up was Paradise Found, a new musical, at the Menier. I tried to write a review, I really did, but it turned into an essay about why I love the Menier, which is of course my favourite theatre. I'm in two minds about the show, for what it was it was entertaining, but considering the pedigree of those involved it really wasn't anything special.

So, finally, was the production of the Crucible at Regent's Park Open Air Theatre. I have to say I think it was the best play that I've ever seen. Here is my short review, which I think is my first attempt at writing a proffesional style review:

Although there are many problems associated with Open Air Theatre, most obviously sudden bursts of unwanted precipitation, Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible” could not work better than it does in the heart of Regent’s Park. As darkness fell, the temperature dropped and the breeze rustled through the leaves of the trees it made for a surreal atmosphere as Miller’s play reached its emotionally charge climax. Shreader’s direction complemented the piece perfectly, and, coupled with excellent set design, allowed for good pacing and inventive staging. Engaging throughout, the cast gave an inspired performance, albeit with a few less than perfect American accents. Patrick O’Kane gave a John Proctor with many sides, most importantly managing vulnerability whilst remaining powerful. He had excellent chemistry with Emma Cunnife’s Elizabeth, who stole every scene she was in. Emily Taafe’s Abigail was perhaps too over the top at times, but then this was necessary in order for her to shine amongst the tight supporting cast. Overall, a highly successful interpretation of Miller’s play in a wonderful woodland setting.

So, the shortest review that I have ever written, but one which definitely fits within a strict word count. I'm now looking forward to going into the woods in August.....

No comments:

Post a Comment