Saturday 26 September 2009

2008 Oscar line up, only seven months after the ceremony....

So, it is September, and in fact exactly seven months since the 2009 Oscar ceremony was held, which obviously honours the best films from 2008. I could finish it after watching Frost/Nixon for the first time last night. For 2009, I plan to be more organsied and have already started ranking the films that I've seen this year. I still feel like I need to see Frozen River, but apart from that I think I've definitely sampled the best cinema had to offer in 2008.

So, I put Kate Winslet's performance in the Reader as a supporting performance, as opposed to lead like the Academy did. I put Frank Langella's performance in Frost/Nixon in supporting also. I also felt that Lina Leanderson deserved a nomination for her great work in Let the Right One In, so I put her in supporting because even though she had the female lead it's the Tatum O'Neal/Abigail Breslin situation, where if the young actress was pushed in lead they wouldn't garner a deserving nomination, hence why I put her in supporting.

So here is my list, with them ranked in my order of preference. I don't do tech awards by the way!

Best Picture:

1. The Wrestler (WINNER)
2. Milk
3. Wall-e
4. Doubt
5. The Dark Knight

Best Actor in a Leading Role:

1. Clint Eastwood - Gran Torino (WINNER)
2. Sean Penn - Milk
3. Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
4. Michael Sheen - Frost/Nixon
5. Francois Begaudeau - The Class

Best Actress in a Leading Role:

1. Kristin Scott Thomas - I've Loved You So Long (WINNER)
2. Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
3. Sally Hawkins - Happy go Lucky
4. Cate Blanchett - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. Angelina Jolie - Changeling

Best Actor in a Supporting Role:

1. Eddie Marsan - Happy Go Lucky (WINNER)
2. Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
3. Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
4. Aaron Eckhart - The Dark Knight
5. Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Best Actress in a Supporting Role:

1. Amy Adams - Doubt (WINNER)
2. Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
3. Kate Winslet - The Reader
4. Lina Leanderson - Let the Right One In
5. Rosemary DeWitt - Rachel Getting Married

Best Achievement in Directing:

1. Gus van Sant - Milk (WINNER)
2. Clint Eastwood - Changeling
3. John Patrick Shanley - Milk
4. David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight

Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay:

1. The Reader (WINNER)
2. Frost/Nixon
3. Doubt
4. Revolutionary Road
5. The Duchess

Best Writing - Original Screenplay:

1. Happy Go Lucky (WINNER)
2. Milk
3. I've Loved You So Long
4. Rachel Getting Married
5. Gran Torino

So, this is my first ever finished Oscar line up. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment