Sunday 13 December 2009

So.....I hadn't watched any films for ages, then:

I watched:

The Pianisit (2002)
Cheri (2009)
Synechdoche, New York (2008)
State of Play (2009)
The English Patient (1996)

in eight days. That sounded so much more impressive in my head, but now I've typed it out it doesn't seem impressive at all. Oh well. Anyway, I haven't ever done this on here (I think, at least, I never read my own blog), so I thought I would write my thoughts on each film. Here goes.

The Pianist (2002)

I think 2002 is fast becoming my favourite year of the decade for film. This film was captivating, wonderfully shot and directed by Roman Polanski. Adrien Brody's performance was amazing, definitely Oscar worthy, although for one reason or another the film left me a little bit cold. I cried more at the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas than I did at this. The violence inflicted on the Jews caused sudden, sharp tears to form in my eyes, but in the back of my mind it was obvious that he was going to survive, so there was no real point where I felt scared that he wouldn't. Overall, though, the story was amazing and I am now in an impossible position - this or The Hours for my BP win in 2002? One thing's for sure, though, Chicago is now definitely out, though I still love it.

Cheri (2009)

I had been looking forward to seeing this. Not because of the presence of Keira Knightley's (rather attractive) boyfriend, of course. I am a serious film watcher. Actually, we all have our weaknesses. Mine is Rupert. This wasn't my only reason though. Cheri, I could see from the poster and calibre of the film, that it was probably Oscar worthy, but would sadly not get a look in at the Oscars. Pleasingly, I was right. I love it when this happens. Anyway, Michelle Pfeiffer's performance was the best I've seen from an actress this year (bearing in mind that I've not seen much). All of the other performances, paticularly Rupert's (!) and Kathy Bates', were also fantastic. The story was relatively simple, but the way the film was directed was beautiful. I've never been a Stephen Frears' fan (I fell asleep whilst watching The Queen), but this made me realise how good a film maker he actually is. However, what ruined it for me was the irritating voiceover. The screenplay was strong enough without it!

Synechdoche, New York (2008)

I really thought I would love this. I love Adaptation, Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so why not this? The premise looked fantastic - the plot centres on a theatre director who becomes wrapped up in creating a replica of his own world in a battered New York warehouse. However, the film went on for two hours. During this time I became quite bored, none of the characters were rerally engaging and I just didn't connect with it in the way that I've connected with the writer's other films. Also, it left me with a really odd feeling about life.

State of Play (2009)

A political thriller. I felt inclined to watch it, mainly because of the buzz it got when it first came out. Let's just say that I wasn't disapointed in any way. Helen Mirren and Rachel McAdams gave paticularly good performances, although I would like to see a film where Helen Mirren does something other than her natural British accent. It was a fantastic story, very well scripted and managed to hold my interest. I just wish it had been released in the Oscar season, then it may have had a good chance at the awards.

The English Patient (1996)

I am now a bigger Kristin Scott Thomas fan than ever before. She stole the film, making it so (as it rightfully was) it was all her character's story. The scenery and direction was fantastic and transported me to another world. The way two different but inextricably linked stories were told together was really good, not at all confusing or annoying, though Katherine's story was the most interesting. Definitely better than Cold Mountain, and now one of my favourite films.

So, five films. School will be finished for Christmas soon, so I'll have more time to watch loads of films.

No comments:

Post a Comment