Friday 16 October 2009

Sister Act!

The West End needs more new musicals. Like Sister Act, which I saw on Wednesday evening at the Palldium, which I've decided is my favourite of the larger West End theatres. Okay, it's based on a film, but it's loosely based on the film, and this was not really a reason why i flocked to see it. I wanted to see it before I had watched the film, and actually thought the film wasn't very good when i watched it on Monday evening.

Admittedly, this, and Priscilla: Queen of the Desert, have been the only two new musicals this year to have survived in London. I never got to see Spring Awakening, so if I had this might have changed because it really seems like my thing, but to me this is the best new musical to open in London since Avenue Q. Better than Wicked, Footloose, The Drowsy Chaperone and Billy Elliot. Just seemed to be a lot more original and fresh. Best of all though, the house was packed.

I won't say it was the best show ever, but it was certainly enjoyable. I gave it four stars, and am loving Alan Menken even more as a composer now than I did before. Hopefully this will change the situation for new musicals and help put more faith into investors. Everyone, go and see Sister Act! I did write a full review, but it's nearly three pages so I won't type it up here...

No comments:

Post a Comment