Friday 9 October 2009

There's Something About Cameron....

...that makes me want to include her on my favourite actresses list. This is Cameron Diaz I'm talking about by the way. A few months ago I didn't take her seriously as an actress. I cringed every time she apeared on screen, complained that she was cast in My Sister's Keeper before I had even seen it and groaned every time I saw one of her films on DVD in a shop. Now, however, I have realised that she is actually a talented actress and one of the best at playing the romantic comedy role. In some cases, as I add to my 1990s and 2000s Oscar line ups, her name pops up. I suppose it is just the Academy's prejudice towards the type of film she mainly makes which means she has never received a nomination.

Cameron films I have seen:

All the Shrek films (although I wish I hadn't - one of the most overrated and annoying animated franchises ever!) I do love Cameron's voice acting in this though. In fact, I love all the voice acting in it.

Now in chronological order:

1. My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)
Listed as a potential Oscar nominee for Best Supporting Actress for this one (this is the only film other than Titanic that I've seen for 2007, though). I really liked the way that the guy ended up marrying her, because the cliche would have been for him to run off with the nasty Julia Roberts character.

2. There's Something About Mary (1998)
Again, listed as a potential Oscra candidate, Cameron does a great job in playing a conventional romantic comedy role, but giving a proper acting performance, unlike people such as Katherine Heigl.

3. Being John Malkovich (1999)
My favourite Cameron movie. Although eclipsed a little by Catherine Keener, this is definitely another Oscar worthy role (in my opinion) and is in such an original and fantastic movie.

4. Charlie's Angels (2000)
Saw this ages ago and can't remember it. Don't paticularly want to watch it again though.

5. Vanilla Sky (2001)
Currently my best supporting actress win for 2001. I had no expectations for this film so was pleasantly surprised when I watched it.

6. Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003)
Was absolute rubbish and probably what made most people stop taking her seriously.

7. In Her Shoes (2005)
I may have to say this: I think in this she outperforms Toni Collette, one of my all time favourite actresses.

8. The Holiday (2006)
Quite good for a romcom, but probably what turned me off her acting at first (eg. car in driveway scene - way too OTT)

9. My Sister's Keeper (2009)
Shamefully I have only seen 7 2009 movies, so Cameron is currently number 3 for the Best Leadign Actress Oscar, losing to Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia. I probably won't end up nominating her, but her performance was such a surprise to me and a pivotal moment - when I realised she could act and may have a career after 40.

Of course, there are still lots of Cameron films I need to see, but I'm so glad that I discovered her as an actress!

No comments:

Post a Comment